Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Completion of Co-op

               Trinica Sampson, Arthur Morgan Institute for Community Solutions | June 20, 2013

Sooner than I could have imagined, I have reached the end of my first co-op. It is difficult to put into words the amount of knowledge I have gained from working at Community Solutions for the past two and a half months. The experiences I have had here have made me a better worker, a better person, and a more informed citizen, and for that, I am incredibly grateful, to both CS and Antioch College. At most other universities, I most likely would not have had the opportunity to learn and grow as I have at Antioch and through my work at Community Solutions.

My time at Community Solutions might best be summed up with the word “collaboration.” Although everyone in the office had several individual projects they have been working on over the course of the past months, we have all been involved in each others’ work. Everyone has read Pat’s script and edited it several times, everyone has read through the Procedures manual that Julia has been spearheading, everyone comments on the proposals and letters Faith sends out, and Faith, Pat, and I have been in constant communication about my upcoming New Solutions report. This technique of constant communication and feedback was extremely helpful and reassuring, particularly while I was writing New Solutions #21, which involved a subject and style of writing very different from the creative writing I am familiar with. With the input and suggestions I am receiving from the other members of the office, I am confident that the final product will be the best it can be when it is ready for the public to read. This confidence in writing is something I lacked before beginning work at Community Solutions, and I am so glad that constant exposure to the writing and editing process in this office has given me the ability to give and receive critiques with far more ease than I was able to before.

In general, working at CS has made me a more confident person, not only in my writing, but in my day-to-day activities. On the student evaluation required as part of the co-op program at Antioch, Faith wrote that I took awhile to open up. This has been true of me for years, but it is my hope that my time with this organization has helped me in this regard. Making phone calls was an activity I used to dread, but after both answering and making phone calls for the past months, I have become accustomed to it. Interviews were another territory that normally would make me extremely nervous, but working with Faith and Pat has gotten me in touch with several members of the Yellow Springs community and made me much more comfortable meeting and speaking with new people.

I have been able to see a straw bale house, witness the creation of an urban demonstration garden, and attend a meeting of the Yellow Springs Energy Board, opening the door for more students and faculty of Antioch to attend and possibly join the board. The connections I have made through the network of people involved with Community Solutions have and will be invaluable as I continue my education at Antioch and in Yellow Springs.

My work at Community Solutions has also exposed me to information on climate change, peak oil, electric vehicles, CO2 and greenhouse gas emissions, and other energy-related topics that I likely would not have learned about if I had not worked here. This information is important for any citizen of Earth, and being more knowledgeable on these subjects has already been beneficial to me in terms of the choices I make on a daily basis.

My tasks at Community Solutions have included general office maintenance (taking phone calls and messages, sending orders to CS members, logging orders and donations in the database, maintaining an updated office calendar and reminding office members about upcoming tasks), editing/proofreading (Pat’s script, the Procedures manual, and various emails, blog posts, letters, and other documents), writing (blog posts, book reviews, film treatments, summaries of scripts and live streams, member newsletters, information for film screening flyers, and a New Solutions report), and creating a Power Point presentation for an upcoming documentary. I have also learned about the nuances that go into running a small, non-profit organization. Faith and Pat were wonderful at finding tasks that matched my interest in writing and editing, as well as tasks that challenged my comfort zone in creative ways. Although they often make quips about the lack of organization, in the past months, we have come so far in terms of organizing the office and implementing systems to keep it running smoothly and efficiently. For their parts, Pat and Faith were always available to answer questions or give feedback, but they also gave me the space and opportunity to work and set priorities at my own discretion. The freedom I have been given at Community Solutions has been wonderful and allowed me to really come into my own, both as an employee and as a person.

I have had a wonderful and valuable experience at Community Solutions, and although I wish I did not have to leave so soon, I know that I will return to my studies at Antioch as a new person, with new knowledge under my belt. I am also excited to play a part in strengthening the relationship between Antioch College and Community Solutions. I have a feeling that my time at CS will often be reflected upon as I continue my education and begin new co-op jobs in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment